Sahara Longe and Honor Titus | Windrush: Portraits of a Pioneering Generation
Commemorating the 75th anniversary of HMT Empire Windrush's arrival in Britain, Windrush: Portraits of a Pioneering Generation is a display of ten portraits, highlighting the experiences of people who have made positive contributions to the United Kingdom.
Commissioned by His Majesty The King, when Prince of Wales, and lent from the Royal Collection, the portraits honour the accomplishments of the Windrush Generation, men and women who took up jobs in areas such as construction, transport and the NHS, often facing discrimination as they navigated living in a new country and pursued their dream of a better life for their families. The faces of these sitters are a powerful reminder of personal resilience, determination and the positive impact of diversity across Britain.
The sitters and artists are:
- Delisser Bernard by artist Honor Titus
- Alford Gardner by artist Chloe Cox
- Linda Haye, OBE by artist Shannon Bono
- Edna Henry by artist Amy Sherald
- Carmen Esme Munroe, OBE by artist Sonia Boyce OBE, RA
- Gilda Oliver by artist Clifton Powell
- Professor Sir Godfrey (Geoff) Palmer, OBE, CD by artist Derek Fordjour
- Laceta Reid by artist Serge Attukwei Clottey
- John (Big John) Richards by artist Deanio X
- Jessie Stephens, MBE, SLPM by artist Sahara Longe